Rain

 Rain. It is defined as "moisture condensed from the atmosphere that falls visibly in separate drops." That may be how it manifests, but it's meaning is so much more.

"Sow righteousness for yourselves, reap the fruit of unfailing love, and break up your unplowed ground; for it is time to seek the Lord, until he comes and showers his righteousness on you." - Hosea 10:12

Rain has special meaning in the Bible. It is an outpouring of God's righteousness, faithfulness and favor on His people. When His people would turn away from Him, He would withhold the rain.

"When I [God] shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land." - 2 Chronicles 7:13-14

In school I learned about ancient history where different cultures equated rain with life. Some even bowed down to the god of rain. Others passed down traditional beliefs, such as rain on the day of your wedding meant your marriage would be prosperous. In church I would sing along to songs that talked about an outpouring of blessings from Heaven in the form of rain. My view of rain began to form into an understanding that one should rejoice when it rains. To see it as a sign of God's loving hand upon my life. Now when it rains, I am at peace and full of joy knowing who created me and who continues to give me life.

"Yet he [God] has not left himself without testimony: He has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven and crops in their seasons; he provides you with plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy." - Acts 14:17

Rain holds a special meaning to me. Today, I was walking in the rain and I remembered something from my childhood. We used to work in my grandma's garden in the summers. On the days it rained my grandma would stay indoors and all of us kids would go outside and play in the rain. It was a time of rest and giggles for us. As an adult, I can look back at that time and smile knowing that God was not only giving us a day of having fun, but he was also taking care of my grandma's garden and making sure we had a good harvest. God is so good.

I want to finish this post with one more scripture that I believe is important to the meaning that water has for believers.

"Jesus answered, 'Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.'" - John 4:13-14

Comments

Popular Posts